Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Kevins FNED 246 Blog

 For my Blog #5, I am going to be using quotes from both the preface and the introduction from Shalaby, Troublemakers. 

Preface:

Quote: "As an educator and a human being, then, I understood school to not only be a place where young people must be treated as persons but-more important-a place where they can learn, together, how to skillfully insist on their right to be treated as free people"(xvi). I picked this quote because I liked how the author used the word together and talked about how everybody can learn but learn together as a whole. I also liked how she then added how they have a right to be treated as free people and that they are there to get an education and learn. I also liked this quote because she states as an educator and human being which gives us a good point of view on what her opinion is like and what she believes school should be like.

Introduction:

Quote: "I was in charge of asking the questions and he was in charge of answering them. I was the adult, the teacher, the leader. He was the child, the pupil, the follower. We were in a school. All of these facts added up to a clear and singular conclusion: I had power over him, and his success relied on his ability and willingness to accept that"(xxvi). I picked this quote because it shows the power in a classroom that we all live in our everyday life. These roles were normalized in a classroom, so it was what was expected to happen in a classroom. She goes and talks about how she is the "leader" and how he is the "follower" and that they were in a school and whatever she said had to happen. I also like how she states, "I had power over him" and she just basically says that how he succeeded relied on him accepting that she had less power. 

Reflection: I really enjoyed reading this and even though it was kind of a long reading, it was my favorite reading so far. I think that this reading compares a lot to what we discuss in class when we talk about the power in the classroom and how the teacher is the one who has the power and students are the ones that are supposed to listen and follow the directions the teacher said. Attached HERE are the different types of power that happen in a classroom between teachers and students. 


This picture that I used shows how the red person in the middle represents the teacher and has the most power and all the yellow people around the red person represents the students aand how the listen to the teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kevin's FNED 246 Blog

  When you look at everything, we have done this semester, what stands out to you as meaningful? 1. Banga Card Game- This game to me was ver...