Monday, April 1, 2024

Kevin's FNED 246 Blog

 Elimination Ableism in Education

For my blog post #9, I will talk about my experiences through ableism and the connections that I have had throughout my life. 

I feel as though I am a very caring and kind person, and I will always stick up for people when I think something is wrong or someone is being laughed at or made fun of. Throughout my whole life in education, the public schools that I have been to have always been big in being kind to everyone and treating everyone with respect, no matter how you look or act whether you have a disability or not. In every public school that I have got an education in, there has been a lot of people who have had ableism in my schools. My schools have done things such as make unified sports teams, clubs for people with disabilities and even have made what they call "college" for them in the school after they graduate. I think that this is extremely important because not everybody will go to college or know what to do straight after high school, especially if you have a disability or are not able to perform as well as others. For my connection, I want to talk about one of my friends that I made in my gym class who loved sports but wasn't the best at them. Nobody would ever want him on their team and wouldn't ever choose them. However, I was completely different. I didn't care about whether my team won or lost I just cared that he was having fun and enjoying it. I would always volunteer in being a captain and I would always choose him first to be on my team because I wanted him to be happy and this would always make him happy and make him think that somebody wanted him on his team. People would always say stuff to me such as "wow your teams really good" or "you're not going to win any games". Coming from a athlete my whole life and still a athlete here at Rhode Island college, I didn't care about winning or losing in gym class. I just wanted to make sure that kid was happy. He rarely had any friends as it was so the time that I had with him I wanted to make him feel worthy of himself and that he was wanted for once. 

Attached HERE, is a link to a page that I think is extremely important and is a severe worldwide problem. People think that they are better than someone with a disability in which I believe that everybody should be treated the same and fairly. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin! thank you for sharing your personal experience about your friend from gym class. ​​It's wonderful that you consider the happiness of others. I think this world needs more people like you.

    ReplyDelete

Kevin's FNED 246 Blog

  When you look at everything, we have done this semester, what stands out to you as meaningful? 1. Banga Card Game- This game to me was ver...