Sunday, February 4, 2024

Kevins FNED 246 Blog

                                                                     The 4 I's of oppression


The Four I's of oppression are Ideological, Internalized, Interpersonal and Institutionalized. These can all be used in different ways and is in our everyday routine. For my blog #3, I decided to use quotes to help better explain the different I's of oppression.

Ideological Oppression: This refers to a set of beliefs, values, or ideologies on individuals or groups within a society. The quote that I used is "Ideological Oppression is rooted in value systems that allow people to dehumanize, exploit, or harm other individuals and groups." I chose this quote because it points out that these values, common sense, contribute to dehumanization, exploitation and harm. 

Internalized Oppression: This refers to the way people absorb belief systems that then contribute to feelings of false supremacy with themselves in relation to others. The quote that I used is "In white dominant societies, internalized oppression often expressed itself for Black, Indigenous, and other people of color..." I chose this quote because it shows how white people think they are the best and how they have more power than anyone they think is below them. 

Interpersonal Oppression: This refers to the idea of how one group or individual is better than another, both intentionally and accidentally. The quote that I used is "When expressed across groups, interpersonal oppression can normalize biased behaviors and violence." I chose this quote because it you can see the impact right away and it can make people feel diminished, exploited, attacked, dehumanized and that their safety is jeopardized, and their life may even be threatened. 

Institutional Oppression: This refers to a certain group or person being treated unfairly compared to others. The quote I chose is "As a policy and practice, test scores inequitably keep low income-particularly Black, Indigenous, or other people of color-students from accessing educational credentials and related job opportunities." I chose this quote because this clearly shows how there is an unfair treatment amongst certain groups of people that prevents them from getting educations and jobs. 

Attached HERE, you can find more additional on the four I's of oppression to help better your understanding. 









1 comment:

Kevin's FNED 246 Blog

  When you look at everything, we have done this semester, what stands out to you as meaningful? 1. Banga Card Game- This game to me was ver...